St. Paul’s Catholic Church
Reconfiguration and re-purposing of instrument
Re-engineered now becomes New Artistic Statement
St. Paul’s Catholic Church, Danville. IL
This organ started out as a small electropneumatic action 1920’s Hinners unit organ and became Eclectic Provinance Instrument . Buzard assumed care of the organ in 2007 and immediately began what became a five-year project of necessary corrections and improvements. There had been ill-advised interventions by various firms over the years.
The Great Trumpet, which had been newly installed, was used as a demonstration project as part of an American Institute of Organbuilders mid-year e-seminar in reed voicing and revoicing. It was determined that the resonator lengths were incorrect, and fill-in pipes were constructed to correct this problem, along with a complete revoicing of the stop. Similar work was later undertaken with the Oboe
Wind pressures were adjusted through the instrument, and pipes re-regulated to maximum musical effectiveness.
Finally, in 2011-12, the flues of the entire Swell division were revoiced. The original Salicional (Gamba) had been so poorly revoiced that it had to be replaced with a similar period rank from Buzard stock. A new 4’ Principal was voiced and installed as well.
8′ Viola da Gamba (Sw)
8′ Celeste (Sw)
4′ Spitz Flute
8′ Geigen Diapason
8′ Holz Gedeckt
4′ Traverse Flute
2 2/3′ Nazard
1 3/5′ Terz
16′ Contra Oboe
16′ Spitzflute (Sw)
16′ Contra Oboe (Sw)